*Covid-19 Health & Safety – At Junior Achievement, the wellbeing of our students, volunteers and the communities we serve always comes first. In light of the latest public health guidelines, in-person programming will be paused until January 2022. JA programs will continue to be available online. We are committed to providing the “best-in-class” virtual learning and look forward to bringing students and volunteers from the business community face to face again as conditions evolve.
The cornerstone of Junior Achievement, the JA Company Program sees groups of students working together to operate their own business venture. There are two ways for students to participate in the Company Program:
After-school programs: fall session runs from November to February, spring session runs from March to June, hosted on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evening from 6:00-9:00 pm. All meeting will be in person or virtual throughout Edmonton and Northern Alberta. This option is suitable for students in grades 9-12 who are looking for an extracurricular activity and join independently.
In-school: teachers provide Company Program as part of their regular class program or host as a club. This option must be organized by the school or teacher, and students are not able to join independently.
Divided into five phases: Inspire, Unite, Build, Launch, and Achieve, the program allows students to take ownership of their success by giving them the resources necessary to run their business. Companies identify and create a product-based business using market research, create and sell their product; and liquidate their business over the span of 18 weeks. Students also have the opportunity to participate in exciting events like The West Edmonton Mall Tradeshow and The Alberta Business Hall of Fame. Students who successfully complete the program are eligible for over $27,000 in awards and scholarships every year.
What to expect:
Level: Grade 9-12
Commitment: 16-18 weeks
Program Code: Project-based
Curriculum Links: Entrepreneurial Skills, Leadership, Management & Marketing, Finance, Math, Language Arts
Phase 1: Inspire
Participants learn that JA Company Program is a life-changing, hands-on experience that aims to inspires them to create an exciting entrepreneurial venture through collaboration.
- Get to know each other, including strengths and motivations
- Collaboratively develop group working norms
- Consider a variety of possible products and business models
- Learn about the roles available within the company and identify leadership styles
Phase 2: Unite
Participants unite ideas and people to form the leadership framework, innovative market solution, and business model to achieve the co-created mission.
- Understand the criteria for selecting the nature of the business venture, potential mechanisms for funding business ideas and product pitching
- Establish the details of the student company using the business model canvas and clearly define the proposed value proposition
- Finalize the mission and establish the organizational structure
- Establish the department functions and individual responsibilities to the team
Phase 3: Build
Building a new business requires a strong foundation based on planning, strategy and communication.
- Create an accountability framework and department work plans
- Develop and establish Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Quantify start-up capital needs, resources, and break-even point
- Create the Lean Business Plan
Phase 4: Launch
Successful entrepreneurial ventures are results of efficient production, compelling sales, and accurate metrics.
- Implement the strategy defined by the Lean Business Plan and apply department work plans
- Continue production of product
- Conduct sales
- Maintain accurate records
Phase 5: Achieve
Personal potential is realized when individuals take risks, engage in new experiences and collaborate with others, and celebrate the success achieved together.
- Understand the steps to close a business
- Share learning outcomes and successes in a variety of formats
- Conduct a final status meeting
- Prepare a Shareholder’s Report
Interested in this program?
Want this program in your classroom?
Students can register below