Dollars with Sense
Canadian personal debt is at a record high. Canadian youth are growing up in a time in which spending is easier than ever and debt is a way of life. This problem is exacerbated by hectic family schedules, which leave parents with little time to teach their children about money management.
How can we prepare today’s youth to avoid personal debt?
Through the newly updated Dollars With Sense program, students get the vital tools they need to make smart financial decisions, live debt-free and become savvy investors. Students learn personal money management skills that they can apply to their lives … beginning now.
Empowering Students to Make Smart, Lifelong Financial Choices
Volunteers make learning fun by using games and multimedia to boost students’ self-confidence and help them achieve financial literacy. Students learn about budgeting, saving, global currencies and safe online shopping. In this half-day, interactive classroom program, students will:
- Identify financial needs, wants, and goals through a money management self-profile
- Reflect on informed consumer decisions, and identify factors that influence spending
- Calculate the cost of credit; understand the advantages of a balanced budget
- Consider the benefits and risks of online shopping, as well as learn how to avoid scams
- Learn how wealth can grow through wise investments
By the end of the program, students will know how to evaluate their financial decisions against their goals. This prepares them to make smart, lifelong financial choices.
Level: Grade 8
Commitment: Half Day
Interested in this program?
Want this program in your classroom?