More Than Money
According to a study by the JumpStart Coalition for Financial Literacy, only 26% of 13-21-year-olds said their parents taught them how to manage money. This gap is not being addressed by schools, as many don’t have the resources to offer classes in financial literacy. JA has designed the More than Money program to address this challenge. With the assistance of volunteers from the local business community, the program teaches elementary students about earning, spending, sharing and saving money.
Preparing Youth for Their Financial Futures
During this interactive, in-class program students will:
- Identify the role of money in everyday life
- Practice making sound financial choices using cooperative decision-making skills
- Manage a personal bank account by making deposits and withdrawals
- Learn how to make ethical personal and business money management choices
- Apply the problem-solving and money management skills needed to operate a small business
By the end of More than Money, students will understand how proper money management can improve their lives, as well as how their financial choices can impact others. They’ll gain the confidence to apply this knowledge to their lives, enabling them to grow up making smart financial choices.
Level: Grade 5
Commitment: Half Day
Program Code: Teacher-led
Interested in this program?
Want this program in your classroom?